Itchy armpits, burning sensation, bad odor, red spots on body, contact dermatitis

for the past few weeks i have had itchy armpits, more noticeable when i wear deoderant and/or in the pm when I have been walking around for a bit. A few weeks in, I experienced a burning sensation in the armpit area for a day or two, then that went away and I have recently had a few days where skin around the armpit (back of armpit and inner bicep area) has been sensitive. I went to my doctor last week who checked for swelling and any lumps and couldn't find any. I took a diabetes urine test and that was also negative. there is no outward sign of any rash or change of colour or any discharge. My doctor just told me to carry on as I am. The odour is fairly bad, despite washing the area twice a day, although that may be because I stopped wearing deoderant for the last week. This morning I tried deorderant again and the area is still sensitive. I also noticed a few patches of non-itchy, tiny bright red spots on my body, legs and arms today - i don't know if this related or not. i exercise quite hard at least 4 times a week, i haven't experienced this before and have no history of allergies or anything. physically, i feel fine apart from the armpits. it's a bit disconcerting, please help!
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 58 minutes later

It is very difficult to comment upon a skin condition without physical examination but it can be due to contact dermatitis caused due to the deodorant (as the symptoms flare up after using the deos) or some viral infection which is causing the tiny bright red spots on the body. Another possibility that is coming to my mind is of atypical shingles. In this there is severe pain and sensitivity in a particular area of the skin, especially under the armpits and on the trunk and there is no appearance of any rash or blisters. The sensitivity can be due to touch of clothes also.

The odor can be due to non application of the deo and chances are less that it is a fungal infection because then it would have been accompanied by a red itchy rash with musty odor. Apply some calamine lotion on the red spots and for itching take some antihistaminic tablets after consulting your doctor. If the rash spreads then get it checked from a dermatologist and get viral infections ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.