Itchy anus, painful, taken Combantrin, no worms, frequent stools. Could this be severe worm infestation?

Hi there, I'll try again. I am a 55 y/o active and healthy female, normal weight and non smoker. I have had a problem going on 4 years of itchy anus unrelieved by everything I have tried. It is now becoming severely intense (past 6+ months) with pain radiating to my coccyx. My Dr has no answers and where I live we do not have Proctologists. The itching is persistent day and night, but worse at night and that area is so raw and tender with skin breakdown in the crack. I am not overweight, I eat soo healthily. I've quit coffee x 1 month, am on a gluten free diet and have reduced tomato intake which never was excessive. I have and do use, cornstarch, zinc oint, steroid oint on occasion, olive oil, witch XXXXXXX and now sitz bath of epsom salts 2-3 x/wk. I took Combantrin 3 times in the past years, no relief. I have not been able to visualize any thready worms, even on a tape test. I recently finished a course of Penicillin, no relief. My Dr suggests taking Amytriptiline but I want to find the cause, not cover it up. I have very frequent stools, tho' not diarrhea, neither bloody or mucousy, but several a day and always feel like I have to go each time I sit to pee. My question is, could this be an unresolved case of severe worm infestation or something more sinister considering the new onset of sacral pain? It is beginning to impact my life in the sense of intermittent oozing of small amounts of stool undetected until I use the washroom. I am obsessive with cleanliness in the area and exacerbate an already tender problem by continual washing. I had, in my younger years 6 children and do know that I have mild prolapsed uterus. I had a colonoscopy last year which was negative and at that time the GP could not visualize any reason for this intense itching. I just need help!! I prefer a natural approach to healing but wonder if a CT or MRI would reveal anything? Thank you in advance for your advice...............S.

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
I can understand your concern.
Itching in the rectal opening can be caused by many reasons like-
1.Chemicals in the foods we eat, such as are found in spices, hot sauces, and peppers.
2.Irritation of continuous moisture in the anus caused by frequent liquid stools, diarrhea, or escape of small amounts of stool (incontinence). This seems to be the most likely cause in your case. Avoid washing the area frequently.
You can use wet wipes and then dry the area properly after toilet. Using an antiseptic powder will be helpful.
3.Treatment with antibiotics also can lead to a yeast infection and irritation of the rectum.
4. Psoriasis.
5. pinworm infestation. This has been ruled out after a negative tape test.
6. hemorrhoid or anal fissures
7. skin tags (abnormal local growth of anal skin).
Direct clinical examination is the only way to diagnose the problem. Most of the times, it needs a supportive treatment and no specific cause is identifiable. A CT or MRI can help in detecting the cause of the pain in the sacrum but are not likely to diagnose the cause of anal itching.
Please visit your physician to undergo physical check up and also to undergo supportive treatment required in your case.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Itchy anus, painful, taken Combantrin, no worms, frequent stools. Could this be severe worm infestation? 4 hours later
Thank you Dr Tayal, I appreciate your comments. You don't mention how or if treating skin tags, psoriasis or loose stool would resolve the problem. My GP has not offered treatment solutions for these things despite her noting the presence of a skin tag and the possibility of psoriasis. Who is the specialist that I should request to see in this case? I diligently use cornstarch after every bathroom trip to keep the area dry. I thank you for your suggestions but have exhausted these measures already, including being aware of spicey foods. I can't accept that this is a 'normal' situation that I must endure. I am making the assumption you are from there Ayurvedic treatment that you know of?

Best regards,
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.
In case there is a skin tag and your physician is suspecting psoriasis then you need to consult a dermatologist for a proper examination. He can then guide you regarding the available treatment options. Skin tags may need to be removed in some cases.
Regarding the ayurvedic treatment, i am sorry i cant guide you regrding the available options as i do not practice this stream of medicine. Consulting a specialist in the field will be more appropriate.
Hope this answer is helpful.

Do accept the answer in case there are no further queries.