Itchy and scaly skin patches, white scalp and forehead

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My brother is 50 years old and has a break out of large to small circular skin patches on his skin which itches and scales fall off,also the scalp of his head is just white and the discoloration has begun to come into his upper forehead.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 11 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

You have provided with good information regarding the health concern. I would also like to know a few more things which will help me in suggesting you better. So, kindly answer the following:

1.Which part of the body does this problem exist?

2. Are the lesions reddish ring shaped?

3. Did your brother consume any new food recently which he might be allergic to?

History of formation of rings which are itchy and scaly are suggestive of possible fungal infection on the body called Tinea. There could be other causes as, Urticarial lesions, Pityriasis, drug eruptions etc.

Your brother needs to maintain good hygiene. Avoid sweat accumulation. Change clothes everyday. Take bath regularly. Avoid sun exposure on the lesions.

In such cases, a differential diagnosis exists which means that many causes could be implicated. This means he needs to see a Dermatologist to help find the cause and advocate proper management. Most cases he will require anti-fungal treatment in the form of oral and topical medication to help in cure of fungal infection.

He needs to eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. To stop itching he may take an anti-histamine drug which will reduce severity of itching.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Itchy and scaly skin patches, white scalp and forehead 10 hours later
no questions, but to answer your questions. 1: no new food has been consumed.
2. the patches are grey or silver in color 3. these patches are on legs arms back stomach.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 minutes later

A description of scaly grey or red patches could point to possible Psoriasis. Although most of the Patients of Psoriasis get scales behind the arm, behind the legs but they are usually itchy.

In case of Psoriasis, generally a person in the family or parents would have similar problem. You will need to consult with the Dermatologist too rule out fungal infection and Psoriasis in this situation.

It is good to check or avoid the following:
1) Smoking
2) Alcohol
3) Emotional stress

You may apply White Petroleum jelly thinly over the lesions to prevent excess scaling and also reduce the itch. He can also take Cetrizine upto 10 mg, available over the counter for relief from itching.