Itchy and grey spots on scrotum is spreading to penis. Concerned

My scrotum has been itching now for about two weeks now. At first I thought it was jock itch, but upon closer inspection I've noticed gray spots on my scrotum. It's also much more wrinkled and slightly swollen. I checked my scrotum today and the gray spots have spread up the shaft of my penis and also appear underneath my foreskin! I have been sexually active, and I'm concerned now. Please help doctor!
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 13 minutes later

As suspected by you earlier, it looks like fungal infection. Grey patches and increase wrinkles is often seen with fungal infection.

You should give a try to local antifungal creams. This surely doesn't look like any STD.

Many antifungal creams can clear the condition in around two weeks. Examples of such preparations include those that contain clotrimazole(Cruex cream, Desenex cream, Lotrimin cream, lotion, and solution), miconazole(Monistat-Derm cream), ketoconazole(Nizoral cream), econazole (Spectazole), naftifine (Naftin), and terbinafine (Lamisil cream and solution). Any one cream can be used.

Rarely systemic treatment may be needed with antifungal tablet like griseofulvin (Fulvicin, Grifulvin, and Gris-PEG).

Minimizing sweat and moisture can help prevent fungal infections.

Please ask if I have left any of your query unanswered or if there are any doubts.