Itching sensation under the skin around pacemaker. Is it a problem?

My mom is experiencing an itching sensation around her pacemaker. The sensation is under the skin so scratching does not help. She has had the pacemaker for three years. Should we be concerned?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 16 hours later

I would like to know few things here..
1) Since how long does she experience itch
2) Do you see her itching anywhere else.
3) What skin lesions do you see over there(scaling ,pustules etc..)
4) Is she diabetic.
5) Whether other side of chest also involved.
6) Do you observe any oozing from the lesion.
7) Is it below the breast.

Probably she is having an allergic reaction to the metal in pacemaker. Or its fungal infection. It would be good to consult a dermatologist who can observe the lesion and tell you. And if you can give me above details then I can guide you further. Meanwhile she can start on some anti allergic tablets like cetrizine(10mg) daily if available over the counter. Check at the pharmacy otherwise you require a prescription for it.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.