Itching on the whole body. Treatment?

Hi Doctor,

I started to devolop a strange iche condition. It does not always happen but it will start of my iching and not a particular part of my body, can be anywhere and there where I scratch it my skinn swell and makes tiny bumps like goosebumps when you get cold. the effect then spreads the more i scratch and when i stop scratching then it dissapears in 15min as if nothing happened. i have tried all sorts of vitamins i have even changed my diet to cancel out wheat or products containing yeast etc but I am still experiencing this.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long do you have this Problem?
2.) Do you have itching in your scalp?
3.) Do you have Dandruff?
4.) Do you have Jaundice?
5.) Do you have Allergy or Asthma?

Your History suggests you are suffering from Dermatitis which is inflammation of skin, but other causes which cause itching have to be ruled out. Kindly don't worry as it isn't life threatening or contagious.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Dermatologist so that he/she may examine you in detail and run few tests like,

1.) Bloodwork.
2.) Patch Testing.

Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly along with removal of possible triggering factor.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Apply Caladryl lotion to affected areas, this will reduce itching.
2.) Apply cool, wet compresses.
3.) Drink plenty of water.
4.) Avoid scratching as much as possible, Trim nails and wear gloves at night.
5.) Wear smooth cotton clothing.
6.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.