Itching on the scrotum after Inguinal hernia surgery. Is it fungal ifection?

I had an inguinal hernia operation on December 15 and everything has been fine with recovery. However about 30 hours ago I started itching on my scrotum and down the shaft of my penis. Is this simply jock itch? I've never had jock itch before.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 16 minutes later

Itching on scrotum and penis can result from a lot many reasons like fungal infections (Jock Itch), irritant dermatitis, scabies, etc

Going by your history, that you underwent a surgery suggests that you must be applying some local cream or lotion on the side or cleaning it with some antiseptics etc. which can lead to irritant reaction at the site and lead to itching etc.

A fungal infection usually presents as a red, scaly rash while an irritant rash presents as non scaly rash which might show mild discharge at time due to excessive rubbing.

An antifungal cream is required to treat fungal infection while a mild topical cream will show improvement in irritant dermatitis and the irritant like betadine, dettol, savlon, etc which are known irritants are also to be avoided.

Hope you got answers to all your questions. If satisfied, please accept my answer .

Dr.Rohit Batra
Follow-up: Itching on the scrotum after Inguinal hernia surgery. Is it fungal ifection? 49 minutes later
Thanks, it seem to be irritant related as it is not scaly. I had actually used Hibiclens on the area including my genital area recently, and I noticed now the Hibiclens said to not use it on the genital area. My mistake. So, it sounds like a cortisone cream might help, correct?
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 12 hours later

Thanks for your feedback.

As you told the lesion is not scaly, but sometimes fungal infection is not scaly specially on genitals.

Applying a cream containing cortisone will mask or flare fungal infection if it's there. So, I would suggest you to apply Ketoconazole or clotrimazole cream first.

I hope your query is answered.

DR Rohit Batra