Itching on the body in pregnancy. Raised alkaline phosphate levels. Taking Udiliv tablets. Risks for the baby?

I am 35th week pregenant, am getting itching all over my body, today i went to doctor and she suggested for Alkaline Phosphatase test, the results of the test 377*. Can you please help me, it there any problem for my baby.

My doctor suggested, take Udiliv tables.

Pl kindly help me on this.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later

Itching in pregnancy may be because of many conditions.
Some of them are related to Pregnancy and some are dermatological conditions.
Have you any family history of itching?(in view of scabies).

You need Dermatologist opinion to find cause of itching?
As per your raised Alk Ph level, this may be due to some hepatic cholestasis. which occurs sometimes in pregnancy. you need complete screening of liver functions.
You also need Ultrasonography abdomen specially for hepatobilliary system.
I will suggest to have Physician review to rule out other causes of Raised alk ph levels.
Your problem should resolve after delivery.

You have already started tab Udliv.. this will relieve itching and will also affect on Alk ph levels.
As for as problem to baby is concerned, this is unlikely with raised alk ph levels.
I presume a basic workup to rule out Congenital malformations in baby has already been done by gynecologist.

You can try topical calamine or Crotomiton lotion. this will relieve itching.

I hope you query is answered.

If you have no more questions in followup then please do accept my reply.

Have a Happy new year and good outcome of your pregnancy in New Year.

With Regards
Dr Rohit Batra.