Itching on side of tailbone

Jan 2013

I have a terrible itch on the side of my tail bone.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later

It is good to have as much information as possible to answer such queries. I will try today and let me know if you can add more in your reply.

1) Itching at tail bone (coccyx) may due to fungal infection (ringworm infestation)/ contact dermatitis/ dryness. This is ideal place where moisture builds making it better for fungi and germs to grow. Drying it often with clean cloth helps. I believe this is the most common reason. You may apply anti fungal powder for better healing. You should also use cotton undergarments to avoid contact dermatitis. This is too common in elderly.

2) Itching may occur if you are suffering from Pin worm infestation.

3) Other possibility would be bites from fleas or bedbugs, at times scabies infestation because of a small mite (this type of infestation generally spare your face and involve the rest of your body).

4) If the above measures do not help please consult the local primary care.

Thanks and get well soon
Dr. Mayank Bhargava.