Itching on buttocks, legs and hands, rashes. Fenofexadine partially helped. Have diabetes, hypertension. Please advise.

I am a diabetic & hypertension I am on Galvis Met & Preterax for the last 2 years. For unknown reason I have developed itching on my buttocks, legs, hands - the itching partially stopped but not fully I was prescribed fenofexadine and this helped to some extent. The rashes & marks due to itching is not going away and the itching still persists. Please advise
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 21 minutes later

Getting an occasional itchy rash is common with diabetic patients.

My suggestion would be to continue with fexofendine and apply a potent steroid like betamethasone twice daily over the affected areas.

See a dermatologist personally for an accurate diagnosis and to rule out anything serious.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Itching on buttocks, legs and hands, rashes. Fenofexadine partially helped. Have diabetes, hypertension. Please advise. 4 hours later
I have seen the dermatologist and was precribed fenofexadine as already stated.
How long should I continue fenofexadine. My blood parameters are all normal except cholosterol levels borderline & I forgot to mention earlier I am also taking Crestor (rosuvastatin) & aspimed. With so many tabs in a day - you think Doc that the itching is a side effect - (side effect of Galvusmet, crestor, aspimed & preterax)
Should I stope using Galvusmet & crestor & monitor my blood sugar levels twice a day and if found normal - should i stop all tabs except Diamicron.
I have also used betamethasone(diprosone) earlier without any major benefit.
Could you suggest me something else of course, I will consult a local dermatologist before starting the medication.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 23 hours later
Hi again,

Rather than a side effects of medication, your rash may be due to Diabetes itself. It's always a good idea to keep monitoring your sugar levels. But instead of stopping or adding a tablet yourself, you must take your Diabetes specialists advice.

As for creams for the rash, you may use mometasone, instead of betamethasone.