Itching inside of nose, sneezing, no runny nose or watery eyes. Suggestions?

Hi Dr.
Since last 2-3 days, the insides of my nose keep itching. It seems like its irritated or something. I feel like rubbing it. I even blowed it many times but nothing seems to come out. I am also sneezing a little but dont have any other effects such runny nose, watery eyes, fever or cough. All is ok, except this nose itching and sneezing. Please suggest something.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 minutes later

Nasal itching and sneezing can be due to allergic rhinitis which is an allergic inflammation of the nasal airways. It may be seasonal which occurs particularly during pollen seasons or perennial which occurs the whole year round.

You should contact an allergic specialist and get skin tests like skin prick test done. In this a small amount of allergen is introduced into the skin of the forearm and the reaction of the skin is noted. If there is any redness then that person is allergic to the allergen introduced.

You can also get blood tests like RAST done.

You need to take antihistaminics like benadryl or Claritin. Longer-acting antihistamines are available by prescription. They cause less drowsiness and can work just as well. These medications include fexofenadine and cetirizine. But they should always be taken under medical supervision.

Secondly, you can also use nasal corticosteroid sprays after getting them prescribed from your doctor. Decongestants may also be helpful in reducing symptoms such as nasal congestion, but they should not be used for long periods. Cromolyn sodium is another nasal spray which can be used for treating hay fever. You can discuss these treatment options with an ENT specialist and then get them prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.