Itching in vagina, pain upon contact with objects, applied fungicidal cream. What should I do now?

Hi, about 5 days ago while on vacation I developed intense itching in my vagina (the inner folds) and took a fungicidal cream, but now 4 days later the symptoms do not seem much better (though they are not worse). I first noticed the itching immediately after sex, which occurred a few hours after getting out of a hottub on a cruise ship. It itches terribly and occasionally feels pain upon contact with other skin/sheets/fabric/etc. I have not had fever or weakness or pain with peeing. What should I do now? Can I take a topical anti-itch creme?
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 9 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question today.

Given what you describe and the exacerbating factor being the hot tub and intercourse, I do believe that you most likely have an incompletely treated vaginal / vulvar yeast infection. What you have done thus far was correct, but I do believe that you would get a better response from:

1. Oral Diflucan 150mg now and repeat in 3 days
2. Yes, you can use an anti-itch cream as needed
3. You could extend the course of the antifungal cream for another 5 days
4. Avoid tight fitting clothes / hot tubs / anti-bacterial soaps

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.