Ask a Urologist   »  

Itching in the vaginal and anal area. Frequent UTIs . Taking Norflox. Permanent cure for urinary incontinence?

I suffer from frequent bouts of UTI as in urinary incontinence but since the last 3-4 days I have also been having itching in my anal & vaginal area. Have been taking Norflox TZ for 2-3 days now. About anal itching - this is the first time and it is definitely very annoying and putting a lot of stress on me. Please advise how to cure both these problems asap since I am travelling tomorrow night .. Also, do let me know if there is a safe & permanent cure for urinary incontinence. Awaiting an early reply. Thanks & Regards,
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 6 hours later

I have seen the attached report. The report is normal.

Now talking about your present complaint of anal itching, there could be many reason for this.

Some common ones are:
Worm infestation.
Infection in local parts.
Some skin infection like fungal infection etc.
Poor local hygiene.
Allergy due to use of sanitary pads etc.

For perianal itching please try following,

Avoid wearing tight fitting clothes; wear more of cotton clothes and undergarments.
Apply some moisturizer to the area.
Take anti allergic tablets for itching.
You can take tablets like Paracetamol for some minor discomfort.
Avoid applying any form of soap etc. over that area.

For recurrent UTI and urine incontinence, you should talk to your doctor and go for some detail investigations like urine culture, ultrasound, and blood sugar to look for the cause. Frequent urine infection in females is common.

After having culture report you need to take complete course of antibiotics to get away with the infection.

Apart from this, please try following.

Drink plenty of fluids.
Do not hold urine for long time.
Maintain good local hygiene.
Go for urination before and after sexual activity.
Please discuss with your doctor about need for treating your partner. As at times males are silent carriers of infection.

Please visit a gynaecologist and get your self properly examined.

In case this does not help and the urine incontinence continues, you may need to see a Urologist.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have. In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Itching in the vaginal and anal area. Frequent UTIs . Taking Norflox. Permanent cure for urinary incontinence? 4 hours later
Thank you Dr .. that indeed was a very detailed answer .. really appreciate that.

I am travelling tonight so have no time for any urine / stool test. Since I already have a history of UTI, pls let me know if I may take a course of Norflox TZ / Noracin / whatever you may think best for the same. Kindly also let me know the dosage & no. of days that I may take the medicine.

Also, is there any medicine I may take for the anal itching besides the UTI medicine?

Thanking you ever so much,

Kind Regards,
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

Since you have a recurrent problem, it would be best if a urine culture had been done. However, do continue with the medication that you are taking and complete the 5 day course.

For itching you can take anti allergic tablets like Tab. certizine 10 mg once a day, preferably after talking to your doctor.

Please follow the rest of the suggestions as given earlier.

Dr. Pragnesh