Itching in the rectum, paper hard scales. Solution ?

my rectrum has be really iching lately, have have heard this is a sign of pin worms, but see none when I go, but I do see these paper thin hard scales. I can hardly sleep at night due to this constant itch. Please help
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Perianal and rectal itching can be secondary to -
1) Worm infestation - Many a times you may not see a worm and can be seen on a microscope. Nocturnal itch is caracteristic of pinworm infectation
2) Rectal ulcer - May be associated with passage of mucus in stools
3) Anal fissure - Is usually associated with defecatory pain and bleeding
I would suggest to get a stool routine examination and get yourself and your family a course of deworming with Albendazole or mebendazole. Personally I would prefer a combination tablet of Ivermectin and albendazole, taken in two doses after food seperated by a 10 day interval.