Itching in the anal and groin area. Used preparation H. Causes?

I am 47 years old. Overall good health. no significant past medical history. Weight is 140 pounds. Height 5 foot , 6 inches. My question is I have no pain in having as bowel movement. I do have an itch in my annus area but more so up towards the back , and also behind my genital area. I have looked at it in a mirrow and it looks red and irritated. I have used Preparation H which helps a little . It may go away for a day but then returns. I see a little blood , not bright red , just a little blood if I touch the area with a cotton ball. I went to the family doctor and they said my be irritation. I think it may be a rash or fungus . I want to rule out a anal fissure. What could this be. Do i need a new tratment plan. The main thing I see is redneess all along the outter annus area going from my groin, behind testicles to the lower part of my back , up the crevice of my buttocks. That is the area is itches the most.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query.
As per your history you are having itching and slight local bleeding.
Since you XXXXXXX not hence pain during bowel movements you do not seem to be having hard stools.
I recommend that you take a single dose of deworming medication at night.Do consult your treating doctor for the same
You should not take blood in stools lightly.
You should also see a Surgeon who can verify after local examination if there is any fissure in ano. He can perform proctoscopy and see the source of blood if any. Early stages of fissure heal on conservative management whereas otherwise local minor surgery is indicated.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Itching in the anal and groin area. Used preparation H. Causes? 1 hour later
Hello Dr. Gyanshankar XXXXXXX

Wwhy can't it be a simple rash or fungus or maybe even some type of jock itch? The blood i mentioned seems more so superficial on the outer part of my skin, not bleeding when i am passing a stool.

Also, I did ot mention previously but when I did go to my family doctor she did a prostate exam and also checked for blood using a stool sample. The test was negative.

I do have a dog, can this so called worm , if i do have one, been passed down from my dog? I aksed my family doctor and she said said the chances wre low and that if I stuck tape down in the area in the morning i would be able to see the white worm like creatures. What do you think about this?

Thanks again. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 22 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
The information that you provided is indeed very helpful since your stool for occult blood was negative.
I will still suggest that you take a course of deworming. Since the blood you mentioned is not coming from the area of stool passage and is more from superficial skin , that virtually rules out anal fissure in absence of any local pain.
The test said by your family doctor is useful (in cutaneous larva migrans)but it is not positive in all types of worms.If you maintain quiet a good hygiene with your dog the chances of getting a worm infection from dog is low.
I suggest the following:
1. A course of deworming :Tb albendazole single 400 mg dose at night. (As mentioned in previous post).
2. There is a possibility of local fungal/bacterial infection (redness and itching) :you may apply local anti bacterial - anti fungal combination of powder.
3. If the rash does not resolve in 3 to 5 days then it will be better to visit a dermatologist who can examine and determine the type of lesion based on skin rash.
Hope I have answered your query. Please do not hesistate to ask further queries if any.