Itching in skin below neck and on face leading to pigmentation.

I have skin problems, it was started in 2009 august. i get a itching sensation on my skin, especially jus below the neck on right shoulder back side. my skin is wheatish. because of itching it now look little black on that part. in front jus below the between the chest too i have same itching on my skin which leads to skin coming out in scrap. now in the same area i see the difference in color which now has dotted white. now i developed same kind of itching on my face too which is just below my hair forehead on either side.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 1 hour later

Thanks for the query. I am happy to help you with your question.

Chronic inflammation often causes changes in skin color. This is not the problem, but rather the consequence.

With dermatology, it is nearly impossible to make a diagnosis without a face to face evaluation. Having said that, however, I offer the following possibilities, which are not intended to be exhaustive.

1. Eczema. Your description and the treatment given by the skin care doctor sounds most like eczema. This is an itch that rashes, rather than a rash that itches. In other words, the skin first itches, and scratching it leads to a rash. This establishes a itch-scratch cycle. Eczema is a chronic condition that is controlled, not cured. Control includes judicious use of topical steroids, liberal use of moisturizers, especially immediately after bathing while the skin is still damp, keeping nails short and sometimes using antihistamines.

2. Tinea versicolor, which causes a sometimes itchy spotty rash, worse in the hot summer. This is caused by a fungus called pityrosporum ovale. Treatment is by either antifungal medication or selsun lotion.

3. Seborrheic dermatitis. Another fungal infection, treated with antifungal shampoos and topical creams.

4. Cholinergic urticaria, a condition where one develops an acute allergic reaction, often with hives, to one's own sweat.

If you already consulted a skin care doctor, they should be able to tell you the diagnosis that was made. If no diagnosis was made, then they gave you medication hoping it would make you better, which it often does. But often with dermatology, a small skin biopsy is performed to see what it looks like under the microscope. This is often necessary to make an accurate diagnosis. Of course, the treatment depends on an accurate diagnosis.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any follow up regarding this query. Once you are satisfied with all my answer, please accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz