Itching in pelvis area, different color in skin. What is the ointment I should use?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi i am working in abudhabi i am having some sort of itching in the pelvis area when i thoroughly checked i found some different colour in my skin my friend told me it is fungus if it is that what is the ointment i should by from abudhabi back home when we were in our college when this thing came i applied candidb ointment please advise the same
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Slightly red and itchy lesions in pelvis area are most commonly caused by a fungal infection of the area. Along with the fungal infection there can sometimes be some inflammation which causes redness, itching and peeling of the skin.
The best way to treat this is with a topical cream which has both a mild steroid element and an antifungal cream. The active ingredients of this cream includes hydrocortisone and the antifungal clotrimazole.
Don’t use any cosmetics on the area. You can use some topical creams like Lotrimin after prescription from your doctor. Wear cotton clothes, retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. In case the symptoms persist then you may need oral antimicrobials/ antifungals for which you have to consult and get it prescribed from your doctor.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Itching in pelvis area, different color in skin. What is the ointment I should use? 4 hours later
should i consult a dermatologist or a general physician please advise
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
For your problem, it would be best to consult a dermatologist for proper treatment.
Wishing you an early recovery.