Itching in inner thighs more than 2 years, taken ointment. Cure?

I have itching in my inner thighs! its been there for over 2 years but past 6 months the place has become dark and it doesn't stop.! I have tried using skin care ointments but didn help. Please provide a solution for this
Posted Wed, 9 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 12 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

From the description provided by you, I feel that you might be suffering with Tinea Cruris infection. The change in color in the affected area occurs in cases that persist for a long time as in your case.

Tinea Cruris is a skin infection due to Fungi. It is also called Ringworm of the groin/Jock Itch. This condition can be treated easily but has chances of recurrence.

Here are some tips to help cure this condition:

1. Keep the skin clean and dry.
2. Use a antifungal Cream containing - Miconazole, Clotrimazole, Ketoconazole, Terbenifine, or Oxiconazole. E.g. (RING GUARD) These are often effective in controlling Ringworm.
3. Wash and dry the area first. Avoid wet cloths.
4. Apply the cream, beginning just outside the area of the rash and moving toward the center. Be sure to wash and dry your hands afterward.
5. Use the cream twice a day for 7 to 10 days.
6. Do not use a bandage over ringworm.
7. Use cotton undergarment. Avoid tight fitting undergarments.

To prevent the infection from spreading:
1. Wash all towels in warm, soapy water and then dry them.
2. Wear clean clothes every day and do not share clothes.

This condition usually responds to topical medications mentioned above within 4 weeks. Severe or resistant cases usually respond quickly to antifungal medicines taken orally, which needs your doctor's prescription.

I would suggest you to consult Dermatologist for physical examination and prescription of medications.

The other condition that mimics Tinea Cruris is called Erythrasma. This is a bacterial infection that affects the groin and advances down the inner thigh similar to tinea cruris.

I hope this answers your question effectively.

I will be available for the follow ups queries if any.