Itching breast, rash, discoloration. Mammogram normal. Do you think that it could be a menstrual symptom?

Question
I am 45, had a hysterectomy 2 or 3 years ago. About two months ago my breasts started itching terribly, no rash, no discoloration, not just the nipples although they itch too, as well as sometimes under my breasts. We changed laundry detergent. Nothing seems to help! They make me crazy! Wake me up at night! I don't know what to do. I had a mammogram about a month ago. That came back fine. This last week they have been achy, like they were sometimes when I used to have my period. Do you think that it could be a menstrual symptom? I have also been under a great deal of stress ... could it be caused by stress?? Thanks!
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Your symptoms are most likely related to the menopause you had after hysterectomy. These are mild symptoms and will gradually resolve over time.
Stress is not likely to cause itching and heaviness of breasts.
A few simple measures can help in reducing your problem.
* Avoid scrubbing your skin.
* Use as little soap as possible. Use gentle cleansers instead.
* Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
* Eliminate any newly added cosmetics or lotions.
* Try calamine medicated lotion.
* Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available without a prescription and may soothe the itching.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Itching breast, rash, discoloration. Mammogram normal. Do you think that it could be a menstrual symptom? 1 hour later
Thank you for your response. So you think I should just treat the symptoms and not worry about the why and it will eventually go away?

Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

Your symptoms are mild and are not worrisome. These will eventually go away. Taking some careful steps as I have mentioned earlier will help in bringing relief.

Hope this answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.