Itching body, boils, lump on neck, hot when sleeping, bloating and discomfort after eating. What is going on?

Question
I'm a 27 year old healthy fit white female. I've had severe itching for about a month now. The itching is everywhere and so severe that I cannot get an hour of sleep at any given time and I've started scratching until I scrap the skin. I've noticed that I'm the only one in the household that is itchy. Also, I've been getting what appears to be boils or lesions one or two at a time. They started on my thigh and have now started to populate on my back. While driving home this morning from work, I ran my hand across the back of my neck and felt a lump where my hairline meets my neck. I've never ever been this itchy in my life. I'm so hot when I sleep. It's freezing where I live, but I have to have a fan on just to get a little relief. Also, even if I eat just a little bit, I feel as though my stomach is bloated and very uncomfortable. What is going on?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 50 minutes later
Hello;
There are several causes of itching and common cause of itching are:-
- Dry skin
-Generalized itching without specific skin changes include metabolic problems like cholestasis(obstructive jaundice),
-Reactions to drugs,insect stings and bites such as from mosquito or flea bites,
-Fungal infection psoriasis,ringworm,
-Scabies which is a highly contagious skin problem caused by scabies mite,
-Stress and anxiety can also result in or aggravate itch.
So here it is important to find the cause of your itch and treatment will be according to the cause.
Presently since your symptoms are disturbing your day today life you can take medicines like Loratidine(Claritin) or Benadryl(diphenhydramine).
Locally anti itch lotions like diphenhydramine or Caladryl shall help reduce the itching.
Also for the boils or lesions it will be better to consult a Dermatologist and get examined and if needed investigated.
He will diagnose your problem and treat you accordingly.
Hope this answer is helpful.
For any other query please write back and I shall help you.
Please accept this answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Itching body, boils, lump on neck, hot when sleeping, bloating and discomfort after eating. What is going on? 45 minutes later
I had an exterminator come into the home and have already been told that bugs were not the issue. I've taken benadryl, however it offers very little relief. Additionally, I do not have little bites anywhere on my body. I can sit and watch an area that feels like it had a XXXXXXX itch and I see nothing. Also, is the lump on the back of my neck normal? Can the lump or if it is a swollen lymph node and the itching have a connection in addition to the abdominal fullness?

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 36 minutes later
Hello;
Thanks for writing back.
The lump on your back of neck if it is not painful,does not grow in size,or cause you any sort of discomfort then it should not be any thing to worry about.
It is unlikely that there is any relation between the itch and the enlarged lymphnode unless there is a infected lesion or a boil in the vicinity.
As for the abdominal fullness it is due to stress induced gastritis resulting from loss of sleep(due to itching),and daily work stress.
For the abdominal fullness you can take a OTC medicine like Prilosec and Domperidone half hour before breakfast and dinner for few days.
Now coming back to the itch since there is no relief with benadryl you should consult a Dermatologist to find the cause of itch.
Discuss with the doctor get investigated if required;and get treated for the cause of the itch.
Hope I have answered all your concerns.
In case I have missed out on any of the issue please let me know and I shall help you.
Please accept this answer if there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Itching body, boils, lump on neck, hot when sleeping, bloating and discomfort after eating. What is going on? 45 hours later
Thank you Dr. Kaware for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. You stated that it's unlikely that there is any relation between the itch and the enlarged lymphnode unless there is an infected lesion or a boil in the vicinity. Well, there is a lesion about one inch above the lymphnode. It's been there for a little over a week now and it seems it's just come out of no where. The lymphnode did increase in size a couple days ago which really scared me. It seems to have reduced slightly, however I can still distinctly feel a hard knot. What is the relationship between the itch, lymphnode and lesion? I'm sorry for so many questions. I truly appreciate your kindness.

Kindest Regards.

Hello;
Thanks for writing back.
Numerous lymph nodes are present all over in our body.
Any sort of bacterial infection can cause enlargement of a lymph node in the vicinity.
When you have a infected lesion there is inflammation of one or more lymph node and it is called lymphadenitis.
So like as I said there is no direct relation between the itch and the enlarged lymph node.
But if there is a lesion close by which is infected then it causes inflammation and enlargement of one or more surrounding lymph nodes.
In such a condition you may need antibiotics to help heal the lesion.
The swelling of the lymph node will reduce or subside once the infection is controlled or treated.
Hope this answer is helpful to allay your fears.
For any queries please write back and I shall do my best to help you.