Itching belly button, yellow discharge, foul smell, used peroxide, bleeding, hypothyroid

My belly button has been itching for the last couple of days and had a foul smelling yellowish discharge. As I was cleaning my belly button with peroxide, I noticed it was very red and was bleeding. It is not fresh blood, but rather some "old" clotted blood. What is this and how can I treat it? It still itches and the infected area did react with the perioxide. Female, 39, 5'1", 260 lbs, hypothyroidism, otherwise generally healthy
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

You have mentioned that there is itching and fowl discharge from the the belly button (Umbilicus).

It appears that you have developed infection of the umbilicus or the structures beneath it. Embryologically, the umbilicus is connected to intrabdominal organs. Infection can occur any where along the tract and show up externally at umbilicus.

Any exposed tissue is exposed to Hydrogen Peroxide with react by liberating gas/oxygen.

There are two thongs required for you.
1. First, you should get your self evaluated by your primary physician. An examination of the area will let us know if there is just a superficial infection or its coming from beneath.
2. Second, you will need a course of antibiotics and antiseptics for 5 - 7 days

Ultrasound abdomen might be advised to evaluate the structures underneath.

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran