Itching around vagina, occasional yellowish white discharge, weak bladder control, not sexually active.

Question
the area around my vagina is very itchy. i am 45 years old. it is an intense itch underneath my pubic hair but not in my vagina. the area looks normal. occasionally there is discharge-yellowish white from my vagina but i have had yeast infections before without all this itching. my bladder contol has been weak too. no sexual diseases and i am not sexually active. no other part of my body itches
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later

Excessive itching only on the area around the vagina might be due to vaginal dryness and estrogen deficiency commonly seen in perimenopausal age group.

Applying an estrogen cream locally along with a 1% hydrocortisone gel might be helpful in relieving your symptoms. You can get these prescribed from your gynecologist.

Occasional yellowish white discharge from the vagina is more suggestive of bacterial vaginosis.

Always keep the area dry and clean and use only cotton underwear.

A clinical examination by your gynecologist will help in diagnosis. Systemic antibiotics may be needed for the treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
If you are satisfied with the answer I request you to accept the answer.

Regards.