Itching around the anus. Medication for worm infestation?

I am not sure which category this would fit in, please forward to relevant component. I have been experiencing sever itching around rectum, it is not only inside the rectum but atleast 1-2 inch diameter around it. I feel it might be worms also, how can i be sure and is there medication i can take for it regardless (for the worms that is), just to be sure. please advice
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 23 minutes later
Itching in and around the rectum can be due to fungal infection which is the commonest cause. Fungi thrive in moisture and since the area around the rectum remains moist, this area is commonly affected. The second commonest cause, as you rightly pointed out, can be due to thread or pin worms. These worms infect the intestines and come out to lay eggs around the rectum and go back inside. This causes the itching. The eggs hatch and again cause re-infection.
I would suggest the following:
a.     Wash the part thoroughly with a diluted solution of Savlon
b.     Apply Quadriderm cream locally 3 times a day
c. XXXXXXX yourself dry every time you go to the toilet
d.     Change your underwear atleast twice a day
e.     A medication like tablet cetrizine 10 mg daily will help you deal with the itching.
f.     Treatment of pinworm infection involves taking a drug called mebedanzole. However, since this is a prescription drug, I would suggest you consult your local general practitioner for the same. You would need to repeat the dose after a week.
Please let me know if you have a follow up query.