Itching around the anus. Diagnosed with fistula. Surgery advised. Second opinion?

General Surgeon
I had itching problem in area around anus for last one year. I was diagnosed with piles first and was advised for a better diet which I followed but the problem persisted. Now after six months when I again consulted a different doctor he has found fistula and has advised surgery. Pl advise..
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Piles and fistula are two separate conditions associated with anus, which are seen in variety of form, with different sign and symptoms.

Sign and symptoms can be different in different patients.

Itching around the anus can occur in both piles and fistula in ano, if they are of long standing.

You have itching, as you are suffering due to this problem for the last one year.

In piles, there is painless bleeding, or protrusion of some part depending upon the grade or degree of hemorrhoids.

In fistula in Ano, there is frequent painful swelling or abscess in the peri anal area with, which rupture with discharge or purulent material. This purulent material cause skin irritation leading to itching.

For both the the condition permanent solution lies in surgical intervention.

So go head for surgery for permanent relief.

Consult a surgeon for confirmation of diagnosis and planning proper treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Follow-up: Itching around the anus. Diagnosed with fistula. Surgery advised. Second opinion? 17 hours later
I could not feel any swelling as such and I could not observe any continuous discharge. My persistent problem has been itching and pain in sitting for more than ten minutes.
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 7 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

In fistula in ano, discharge from some opening in the peri anal area is must.

If there is no swelling or discharge, then one think of some other cause of priritus ani ( itching in the perianal area).

You can discuss the matter with your treating doctor and take the opinion of skin specialist.

If skin specialist also says it is fistula in Ano, than go for surgical intervention.

Another condition that come to my mind is Pruritus ani that is the irritation or itching of the skin at the exit or around the anus , causing the desire to scratch.

The intensity of anal itching increases from many causes like moisture, pressure, and rubbing caused by clothing and sitting.

Sometimes anal itching causes intolerable discomfort that often is accompanied by burning and soreness.

‘Hope I have answered your query. Please write back if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”