Itching and redness in vagina after intercourse. What to do?

Question
hi,
i actually feel itchy sensation during and after intercourse , since past 2 months. even if i dont have sex i still feel the itchy sensation nd vagina walls are red do to tht...please tell me wht do i need to do.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 10 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the query

Itchy sensation is due to vaginitis.
You can apply mild steroid and anti inflammatory ointment.
Xylocaine ointment 2% will also help.
Take tablet levocterizine at night.
Get your vaginal smear done to find out whether there is any infection or it is simple allergic.

There can be psychological factors associated , try to analyse those and do not take any stress.
Wash it with lactoserum.
Take probiotics and yougurt.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them

Follow-up: Itching and redness in vagina after intercourse. What to do? 2 hours later
HI , Thanks a lot for replying.
I would like to know in detail what does vaginal smear mean and how do i do it.
And hope the medicine you mentioned do not have any side effects as such, should i not have sex during the course of medicine, also for how long should i take the medicine.

Thanks for posting the query.

You can go to a Gynaecologist who will make a slide for the smear.

If it is bacterial vaginosis there will be :

Homogenous vaginal discharge.
Elevated pH >4.5.
Positive '' whiff '' test on addition of 10% KOH solution to the vaginal secretion.
Positive clue cells on microscopic examination.

Vaginal pH is detected by a pH paper. Low value pH excludes BV.
Clue cells are desquamated vaginal epithelial cells that are densely coated in adherent bacteria in such a manner that their borders are indistinct. The detection of clue cell is very sensitive test for positive BV. Clue cells can be identified on gram stain or with a single drop of saline.They are pathognomic of BV.

Gynecologists usually do not have an instant approach to the microscope. The pH paper can be used. whiff test is also easy to do and reliable.

If it is mixed type of infection gynaecologist will know it by looking at the discharge. In candida infection, it is curd like cheesy material and in Trichomonas infection, it is greenish in colour.

You can have the sex during the course of medicine but it is better to use barrier methods and your partner should also take a course of Flagyl.

I hope this answers your query.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Regards.