Itching and rashes on genitals and anus, movements in the scrotum, used cortisone. Worm infestation?

Question
This is something I've always been to embarrassed to ever ask a physician about. I am 5'10" 170lb 34 yrs old. Since high school I have had severe itching and rashes in my genitals and anus. I have also had movement in my scrotum that looks to me to be some sort of parasitic worm(s) infestation. The itching and rashes can be controlled with daily cortisone use but I haven't found anything online that makes me think other people have had similar problems. Thank you for any help
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello
The most common cause of itching in the genitals is due to fungal infection and if proper treatment is not taken then it can keep on recurring.The preferred treatment for it is an antifungal ointment containing Cotrimazole.

Sometimes application of one antifungal ointment is not enough and combination of two or more antifungals are needed until the itch disappears and even after that for a week and two application is required.

Some other causes are Diabetes(if you have a family history then possibility of that can be there),co existing Dermatitis,low immunity etc and they are also to be evaluated.
Anothre common cause is heavy sweating of the area-The moisture causes your genitals to itch. Too much dirt has many tiny particles that build up and make them uncomfortable. You need to wash your genitals properly with warm soapy water and let them dry properly.
Scabies is also possible- it is a bug infestation and the main symptom is itching. An examination by dermatologist will help in the diagnosis.Recurrence is common if not treated properly.
Please see a Dermatologist for examination so that appropriate treatment can be started.Also get your Blood sugars tested.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.
Regards.

Follow-up: Itching and rashes on genitals and anus, movements in the scrotum, used cortisone. Worm infestation? 2 hours later
Is it normal to have movement in the scrotum that mimics the slithering movement of worms? That was my main concern and it was not addressed.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

Yes. These are spontaneous contractions of the dartos muscle in the scrotum. If you are worried only about it these are absolutely normal movements. These movements are brought about my simple stimulus like scratch, temperature variation, local infection too.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Regards.