Itching and rashes all over body. Does this have anything to do with menopause?

I have had itching and a rash all over my body. from head to toe. Mainly when I get hot. Does this have anything to do with menopause? THis has been occurring for at least 9 months. I am 54 years old and recently been diagnosis with shingles. Can you have itching/rash this long with shingles?
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

Yes, the itching you have and the Shingles can co exist.

The Itching is more common during perimenopausal early post menopausal period, this happens due to lack of estrogen which alters the fat metabolism.There is decrease in levels of sebaceous secretion in the skin which leads the skin to get dry and itchy sometimes associated with rash due to allergens.This is a self limiting symptom and does not pose any serious problem.

The itch can be treated with antihistaminics like Benadryl tab taken once daily in night after food.

Hope I answered your query.

Follow-up: Itching and rashes all over body. Does this have anything to do with menopause? 12 hours later

Thank you for your quick response to my question. One doctor gave me the same diagnosis. That the itching and rash is related to menopause. That particular doctor prescribed Hydroxyzine XXXXXXX 10 MG.

Another doctor said it related to anthistamine and Zantac 75. Which should I take?
Alo, about the shingles, I am teaching summer school for 10- 12 year old children. Is this safe? Again thank you so much for helping me. I wll refer this website to others. Also, is your office located close to Virginia?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I would recommend Hydroxyzine, as it has promising results and does help you get rid of the itching.Also do apply Moisturising creams all over the body which will prevent the itching by reducing the skin sensitivity.

Schingles has high infectivety in first two weeks of the onset of the disease. Hence do take care with the contacts you have.

Thanks for considering our service a reliable one, We shall work at improving the same.

I am sorry to say that our office is not located near XXXXXXX NY XXXXXXX is where we have a set up.

Thanks again for using this service.

Wish you good health.