Itching and rash on the scrotum, chin and chest, red spots after swimming. Advise?

I have been swimming for couple of weeks in a pool that is treated with a salt based chlorine generator. I now have itching and rash of scrotum ( the worse place), chin and chest. Latter is broken out with red prickly spots. (No breaking out on scrotum - just really itchy.

Your advice, please.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 32 minutes later

Allergic rashes can occur due to swimming pool water. Sometimes the water itself cause itch with the chlorine element. It can also be an infection transmitted by contact.

My immediate advice is to stop visiting swimming pool till the skin rash subsides. Any irritation further with the above reasons can worsen the rash and itch.

I wish to know the following to advise you further.

- The skin lesions are elevated or flat?
- Are they persisting or they fade away?
- Do you have fever or any other complaints?
- Do you notice any fluid filled vesicular lesions?

Photographs of the affected region / foreskin lesion (close up, distant and lateral) in good light can be helpful in understanding the problem. I would suggest you to upload the pictures using feature available on this page.

Meanwhile you can apply a cool soothing lotion like calamine lotion or aloe vera lotion which is available as over the counter in the nearest pharmacy.

For an immediate relief from the itch antihistamines like tablet Zyrtec can be used.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr Sudarshan