Itching and burning legs, buttocks. Bumps when scratched. Bruise on thigh, no trauma

Hi, for a few weeks now i have been experiencing extreme itching and burning on my legs. mostly on my outer thighs but it also itches on my buttocks and calves. My skin will get these small bumps and even welts if i scratch or rub them the skin may break. I develop bruises on my outer thighs although i havent injured myself or struck anything. I do NOT bruise easily even if i do injure myself.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 30 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us
From the description it seems you might be having urticarial eruptions where you get transient red bumps or wheals. Urticaria most commonly has no underlying cause however sometimes any drug intake,fever, infection or particular food like sea food, pickle or sour food may induce such rash.
To treat the same, you may take tablet cetirizine for few days and apply calamine lotion over the rashes.
Severe itching and scratching may lead to extravasation of blood from blood vessels and hence the bruising.
There is just one possibility that should be ruled out and that is scabies. In scabies the red bumps are persistent and itching is usually nocturnal.
Hope that answers your query. Should there be a doubt feel free to write back.

Follow-up: Itching and burning legs, buttocks. Bumps when scratched. Bruise on thigh, no trauma 4 minutes later
okay well i take Lamictal, Pristiq, and Trazadone. could any of these meds be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 hours later
The drugs that you have mentioned are usually not implicated in causing urticaria.
We can consider a drug to be a culprit when its intake was associated with itchy rashes. In simpler words if you have been taking these medicines for long and itchy rashes are of recent onset then medicines cannot be the causative agent.
Hope that helps.