Itching and burning in vagina, urine culture showed Klebsiella, prescribed Bactrim. What is Klebsiella and how does one get it?

Good evening, last week I began to feel an itch like/burning sensation on my vagina. I went to the doctor on Sunday and the urine culture came back with it being Klebsiella/Bactrim. What is klebsiella? How does one get klebsiella? I am really scared about this. Do people die from it? Is Klesiella contagious?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Klebsiella is a gram negative organism which commonly infects the urinary tract.
It is mainly transmitted from your partner during sex if he has a urinary infection. Poor hygiene can also cause the infecion.
There is nothing to be scared about. It is a common infection and can be easily cured with a course of antibiotics like bactrim. People do not die from such a mild infection. Please do not worry.
Some measures which can help you:
1)Drink lots of water.

2)Empty the bladder completely as soon as you feel the urge to urinate.

3)Pass the urine before and after intercourse.

4)Wear loose cotton undergarments and wash them in antiseptic solution.

5)Take Cranberry juice as it inhibits bladder infection.

6)Take Vitamin C tablet Celin once a day for few months. It will help in increasing your immunity.
Please do practice safe sexual practices like using a condom, so that both you and your partner do not co-infect each other.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.