Itching all over. Is it an STD? Suggest the solution?

I itch all over non-stop. It's gone on 2 months+. There's no obvious cause and no rash. Everything itches. Is it an STD?

I have no other symptoms...
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
it could be urticaria.

Detailed Answer:
From the description provided, this generalised itching could be urticarial in origin. Urticaria leads to severe itching with development of redness, bumps, wheals or linear lines. The lesions or itching disappear only to appear at some other site. It is not a sexually transmitted infection and has no relation to sexual encounters.
Treatment would be combination of antihistamines like cetirizine and hydroxyzine along with application of calamine lotion.
Hope that helped. Should there be any other query, please write back.
Follow-up: Itching all over. Is it an STD? Suggest the solution? 7 minutes later
Hi Dr. Kalpana,

Thank you so much for your fast and helpful response!

I just wanted to clarify one thing -- I have absolutely no skin irritation, redness, lumps, weals, lines, or physical symptoms of any kind. Given the extended period of time I've had this with absolutely no dermatological symptoms (by which I just mean that my skin looks 100% healthy all the time) is this still consistent with urticaria?

Thank you very much,

I meant Dr. Pathak; I apologize. It's late here.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urticaria is one of the commonest causes for itch

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
Itching without skin rash could be due to
impaired renal or liver function
stress induced
dry skin
urticaria or hypersensitivity to any allergen too can cause pruritus or itch without rash.

the cause or diagnosis can be made by excluding other factors.
right now I would advise you to take oral antihistamines for a day or two and let me know the response.
I shall be available for follow up.