Itching after taking flagyl. Diagnosed with trichomoniasis. Could I be allergic to flagyl?

Mar 2016

I have been treated for trich four pills of flagl that was Friday when I got treated now I just started itching today could I be allergic to the meds or?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer as per your concern.

Metronidazole (Flagyl) is very much effective in treating trichomoniasis. It is generally given for 7 days or may be repeated to another course after an interval of 7 days. If you are sexually active, your partner should be treated with the same and partner should use condom during treatment course.

Mild itching may occur due to effect of the pill. Other side effects are abdominal pain, diarrhea, dry mouth, dizziness, cough, sore tongue, tingling sensation etc.

If itching is slightly more or non-tolerable, then you can take cetirizine 10 mg at bed time for 7 days. Alternatively, you can use vaginal suppository or apply metronidazole gel to treat the same.

Following life style changes are helpful to prevent future recurrence:

1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like Vit-E/ C, selenium, zinc, lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ juice for better systemic circulation.
2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects or douching inside vagina.
3) Maintain genital hygiene with proper shaving & cleaning. Do regular physical exercise by means of jogging/ walking/ treadmill etc.
4) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. Avoid using any type of chemical cosmetics or soap.
5) Try to avoid any type of sexual activity for at least 3 months including unprotected sex.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen