Itchiness inner side of arms and back of thighs

Hi my 5 year old son is scratching the inside of his arms and the back of his thighs, where it bends. What is causing this?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

There are two potential causes for the itching which you describe here. The first concern would be mild dryness of the skin. Even a mild degree of this can trigger itching. I would suggest a trial of a good Hydrating lotion such as Vaseline intensive care or a similar product.

Secondly it is possible that a fungal infection could trigger itching - similar to that which is associated with athletes foot. A topical over the counter cream could be safely used in this case as well. The most commonly used product is clotrimazole which is readily available at any pharmacy.

Lastly - a mild allergy to detergent or soap or to fabric on furniture could trigger this itching. In the absence of use of any new soaps or new furniture this remains less likely.

I hope these considerations have served to be both adequate and informative for you. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga.
Follow-up: Itchiness inner side of arms and back of thighs 37 minutes later
i have been cleaning the house and also the air condition too. Could dust also make him itch? Or could it be my carpet?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

The carpet is a more likely cause than dust. Cleaning solvents can certainly irritate the skin and cause itching. This is definitely a potential source of his symptoms.

Please let me know if you have additional followups regarding this concern.

I wish you all the best.

Dr. Galamaga