Itchiness in hands, caused by sinus infection. Possibility ?

ENT Specialist
my doctor told me that my itchy hand was caused by my sinus infection, is this true
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

Sinusitis by itself will not cause itching of the hands, but with the hay fever it can happen. With this brief history, it is difficult to analyze what exactly you are going through. If you can furnish more details regarding this, it would be helpful in arriving at a diagnosis.
1. Since how many days are you suffering from this problem?
2. Do you have any other allergic problems such as hay fever, asthma or any family history of asthma?
3. Has itching of the hands developed after contact with detergents or any other substance?
4. Are you suffering with any diagnosed medical conditions?

Please reply to the above questions, as this will help me in suggesting you better.

Awaiting for your reply.
Follow-up: Itchiness in hands, caused by sinus infection. Possibility ? 1 hour later
i have had a cough and runny nose for about a week but not hayfever. the itchy spot has been on my hand for 3 days including today, it is about the size of an australian 50cent pice. it is not because of contact with soap or detergent. tonight the other hand has started to itch but the spot is only ver small. it is nowere alse on my body
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for your reply.

Then in that case, the itching over the hands is not because of your sinusitis. Then the lesion could be because of allergy to some medications you are taking or some insect bite.

If your doctor has prescribed any antihistaminic for your sinusitis that would be sufficient enough to reduce the itching over the hands. If not, then you will require antihistaminic (such as fexofenadine) for reducing the itching.

If the itching and the rash do not subside with the above medication then it would be better to see your doctor to rule out other causes.

Hope this answers your query.