Itch around anus, incontinence after physical activities, bleeding, burning post passing stools. Causes ?

I have itching around the anal area, My bowel movements have changed to one or two times a day. I have incontinence after physical activities which as a kid i never really had. Feeling low energy lately, and im not sure what i could possibly have. I've had a few cases where, when wiping there would be blood on tissue. Not every time though, do you know what i could possibly have also sometimes burning or stinging after bowel movement. Size of bowel movements have changed, they are now either diarrhea or small clumps. Doesnt always feel like i have finished all the way as well. No abdominal pain, but stomach seems either gassy or makes noise? What do you think i may have?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 40 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. From your symptoms few possibilities need to be ruled out.

1)     The first possibility which is of irritable bowel syndrome is important to be ruled out. It is characterized by mild to severe abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating and alteration of bowel habits like alternate constipation and loose stools. For ruling out the possibility of irritable bowel syndrome, you have to consult a gastroenterologist as it can be a very difficult diagnosis to make. IBS is called a diagnosis of exclusion, which means that your doctor has to rule out other possibilities first.

2)     Second possibility from the symptoms and blood on tissue after passing stools can be due to inflammatory bowel disease. The major types of IBD are Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis and this may cause blood on tissue after stools which you are already suffering from. Diagnosed by colonoscopy and biopsy of the lesions inside the colon.

3)     Third possibility is of constipation, anal fissures and hemorrhoids which can all cause blood on wiping after passing feces.

Pruritis ani (anal itching) can be due to frequent wiping after stools, moisture(due to sweating or frequent washing), the abrasion caused by clothing, the pressure of sitting or due to hemorrhoids which sometimes start off as red rash and anal itching.

In order to confirm the diagnosis, you need to get the above mentioned tests done from a gastroenterologist. Till that time, increase the fiber amount in your diet. The best natural sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fiber, especially from fruits and vegetables and eat slowly and chew you food well. You may even add bulk forming agents like salads, bananas etc or psyllium husk to your diet. Also follow the below mentioned methods:

1)     Exercise regularly such as the regular walking and knee-to-chest position which activates bowel movement.

2)     Drink plenty of fluids and water everyday.

3)     Decrease intake of alcohol, caffeine, tea and cola drinks

4)     Go to the toilet at the same time every day which helps in regularizing the bowel.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Itch around anus, incontinence after physical activities, bleeding, burning post passing stools. Causes ? 24 minutes later
The blood on the tissue does not happen very often at all. I use to have somewhat of a schedule when it came to bowel movements, but like i said i go maybe once or twice a day. The color of the waste is still brown, doesnt seem like much of a color change there. But its just comes out in small sections, and the amount is not a full amount like i know i used to produce. The symptoms have been going on for a few months now, i did go to the doctor once before, and they did take a look, What they said was that there was fungus, and he recommended lotrimin ultra. I took that for awhile but the itching really didnt go away. It first felt like i had a tear or something, but not sure if i still feel that anymore. I used neosporin for awhile as well, which seemed to relax the tear like feelings. When i bend over i can still feel some pain in the rectal area though as if its stretched or a cut or something. Not sure if that helps with helping figure this all out. Hopefully that info helps you in helping me figure this all out. Feel free to ask me any questions as well. SO should i go back to my doctor and let him know about my current condition, or should i go and look for that gastroenterologist?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later

Bloody stool means that there's some sort of injury or disorder located somewhere in your digestive tract.

If the bloody stool is bright red, then it could be due to hemorrhoids (piles) or anal fissure.

The causes of bloody stool that is more maroon in color is intestinal polyps, inflammatory bowel disease or diverticulosis (diverticulosis causes significant bleeding).

Other causes of blood in stools are, aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications and, polyps (small growths) and cancerous tumors (malignant growths of tissue).

Diagnosis is by doing a local rectal examination (proctoscopy). In some cases sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy may be needed.

In your case, the possibility of an anal fissure or hemorrhoids seems more likely. You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables.

Just make sure to increase your fluid intake also when you increase your fiber in the diet. Constipation tends to worsen the hemorrhoids as well as the anal fissure.

Please consult a gastroenterologist/surgeon and get it seen.

Hope it helps you. Regards.