It is safe to take the yellow fever vaccination approximately 1 to 1-1/2 months before a potential pregnancy?

May 2013
Hi there, I am going away to Cusco in Peru on July 16 and then going to Brazil (Rio De jenerio) on July 23 2012. I am purposefully avoiding malaria and yellow fever areas. However, I found out that I will need the yellow fever vaccination regardless to enter in Brazil. my worry is that I will be going through an IVF cycle at the end of August. Injections will be starting August 9 and egg retrieval at the end of August. I am wondering if you know if it will be safe to take the yellow fever vaccination approximately 1 to 1-1/2 months before a potential pregnancy? Also will the vaccination interfer with the IVF injections? Of course I am worried about potential harmful effects on baby and increased miscarriage. Do you have info in this area? I also don't know how the yellow fever vaccination will influence the IVF process? Should I cancel the trip, try to get a waiver staying that I don't need yellow fever or should I get the injection? Thanks for your help.
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Usually live vaccines like recommended during pregnancy,

There are only few studies regarding effect of vaccine on pregnancy,
Some studies showing that there is no risk for major anomalies but minor anomalies mainly related to skin can be seen in babies
and chances of spontaneous abortions are there in pregnant women, but sufficient data is lacking on this aspect.

According to ACIP recommendations vaccination to be taken at least 4 weeks prior to conceiving,
reference: WWW.WWWW.WW
Usually the vaccine will not interfere with IVF process,
so if your journey is unavoidable, and your doctor thinks that the benefits of the vaccine over weigh the risks you can go for vaccination as there is still around 6 weeks time for IVF,
But before taking vaccination you once inform to your gynecologist who will do IVF and follow her advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.