Is whiteness in my child's tongue a sign of thrush?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My 1 yr old keeps sticking her tongue out and trying to grab it as if it hurts. She hasn't been eating the solid food she likes. Puts it in her mouth and then spits it out. Today I thought maybe I saw on the very very back of her tongue it was white. Could it be thrush or anything else?
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be thrush Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. From what you describe oral thrush or Candida infection seems likely. It would be better if you can send us some pictures to help in confirming further. It could be sedimented milk too. Try scraping it with finger if it comes off easily then it's just a milk sediment. If it doesn't, You can apply clotrimazole mouth paint twice daily for a week to look for response. Wishing your kid speedy recovery. Regards Dr Arun