Is white spots on my swollen tonsils a sign of tonsillitis?

My 22 year old daughter has swollen tonsils and white spots on the tonsils. Her throat is very sore! She has had a low grade fever for several days as well. She is gargling with warm salt water and vinegar, and is taking aspirin. Is this tonsilitis? What else can she do? Would an antibiotic help?
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Seems as though this could be tonsillitis Detailed Answer: Hello sir/ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. From the provided information, it does appear as though your daughter could in fact be suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection (URTI), which is simple terms would mean and include tonsillitis. So the answer to your question would be yes. The treatment advised to patients diagnosed to have acute bacterial tonsillitis (there are other variants also, including a viral source which will not respond to antibiotic coverage) is antibiotic coverage (usually with antibiotics like azithromycin 500 mg twice a day for 7 days), antibacterial mouth gargle and if required a pain management medication that can be dissolved in water and gargled for direction absorption into the affected region (eg. disprin MD). In my opinion it would be best to visit a doctor and get diagnosed and treated accordingly for the same, as this would be the next best step. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.