Is white blood cell count of 16 a sign of cancer?

Hi, my name is XXXXXXX I'm 66 yrs. old. I've been told to see a hematologist by my dermatologist because I inject Embrel twice weekly for psoriasis and my last cbc indicated my white count was at 16. What else besides cancer could cause it to be so high? I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2000. It was intraductal carcinoma insitu and required 7 weeks radiation. I also have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and a water retention problem all of which are controlled with medication. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your time, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 hours later
Brief Answer: It may not be cancer Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. A white cell of 16 by itself does not suggest cancer. We need to look at the specific type of white cell that is elevated. If it is the neutrophil, then more likely to be infection. Enbrel can cause serious infections and should be treated appropriately. Unless there are some abnormal cells on the blood smear, it is not due to cancer. Your breast disease was also not cancer but pre-cancer. It is most likely unrelated to the current problem. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.