Is whey protein shake safe for teenagers?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My 14 year old son wants to take whey protein shakes. He is on the football team and is 6'2 170 lbs. Is this safe for him to take?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 37 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
It is definitely safe. There are no contraindications and side effects of such products and may be used in teenagers(>13 y).
These product are made of natural but concentrated proteins and have low amount of fats and sugar. Many sportsmen take it, but it is good to know that is shouldnt be taken for weight gaining only. It must be combined with exercise so that most of these proteins go to muslces.
Other question is, is this necessary for him. Normal dieatary should have enough proteins for normal growing and developing. In most meat, eggs,rice and milk products there is enough proteins for daily recommendations. As a sportsman he needs more of it,but he should take it only on days when he didnt eat enough food I ve mentioned. So when he eats chicken with rice and yoghurt he shouldnt take protein shake. After eating only carbohydrates he should take it.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help