Is weightlifting a bad idea if I have a heart murmur?

Hi, I have a heart murmur, in particular a bicuspid aortic valve with minor to moderate regurgitation. I am 18. I want to build some muscle mass, I have a very thin build. However I understand that weightlifting is a bad idea for me. Any thoughts/ideas?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar Kalal 5 hours later

Unfortunately yours is a condition where physical activity has to be limited. About weight lifting please discuss with your doctor as it depends upon the left ventricular cardiac function, also for any kind of exercises including walking. If your regurgitation is minimal then you can ask him about the suitable exercises that can be followed.

It is essential for you to report any kind of shortness of breath, chest pain or fainting episodes immediately as they can be signs of underlying grave condition. Acute regurgitation is a surgical emergency in your case, so reporting of above said symptoms will be very helpful.

Aortic valve regurgitation causes extra workload on your heart and eventually leads to failure, which decreases the overall life expectancy. This can be prevented by opting for a valve replacement, which is found to improve the general quality of life along with the life expectancy. Please discuss about this option with your treating doctor.

Hope I have answered your queries. In case of any doubts I am available for follow ups.