Is weight gain and increased hair loss symptoms of thyroid problem?

hi doc how r u, since last 1 -1/2 month i feel my weight is increasing & my hair fall is also increase day by day.are these symptoms of thyriod
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Possible, but not specific. Detailed Answer: Hello dear XXXXXXX Thank you for the question, I am doing fine, and I hope you are doing great yourself. Hair fall, and weight gain could be due decreased functioning of thyroid, that is "HYPOTHYROIDISM", but these two symptoms alone do not warrant a suspicion of hypothyroidism, but since you have noticed it, it is best to get yourself examined by a general physician and undergo thyroid function tests. Please ask for a complete blood counts, Free T3. T4, and TSH levels along with blood sugar levels and lipid profile and also get vitamin B12, Vitamin D and Folic acid levels tested. You may revert back to me with the reports, but it is best to consult a physician in person as a physical examination will give quite a lot of information. Hope this answers your question, please feel free to ask me for clarifications of you need. Wishing you good health. Warm regards.