Is weight gain a side effect of Lofepramine?

Hi, after nearly 2 years on Lofepramine I have weened myself off. I have had an uncharacteristic weight gain of almost a stone, could this be related?
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Weight gain may be due to Lofepramine/other causes Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Most of the anti-depressant drugs tend to increase body weight either, directly; or indirectly by affecting hormonal changes, particularly thyroid hormones. However, weight-gain may- or may not- be due to Lofepramine. Possibility of underlying- but undiagnosed- causes of weight gain cannot be ruled out. Hence, you should get your Thyroid hormones estimation (to detect evidence of underactive thyroid glands) ; Blood sugar (to see for evidence of diabetes, if any); Female hormonal levels (Estrogen and Progesterone); and, Prolactin levels. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will pinpoint the exact cause of weight-gain and prescribe suitable treatment. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal