Is wearing a brace or abdominal binder advisable post lapriscopic surgery?

Hello. I am fifty eight years young. I had lapriscopic surgery three weeks ago to remove a large ovarian cyst as well as my ovaries, tubes etc. I had a previous partial hysterectomy ten years ago. My friend had the same two surgeries similar to mine. She took it easy for four weeks and then went back to her job helping her husband cleaning swimming pools. After six months she developed a hernia and had to have another surgery. I am trying to be very careful on lifting anything as I do not want this to happen to me. She told me that looking back she wished her doctor recommended wearing an abdominal waist brace or tummy control underwear to prevent any post op problems. Should I wear a brace or underwear and when can I start? I am a very active person and I would like to get busy, Thank you
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: would be most effective at this point Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Normally after these types of procedures heavy lifting and prolonged standing is avoided for 2 to 3 months to allow the tissues to heal correctly and prevent any damage. In general, it is thought that lifting up to 4 kg during this time is sufficient. You can continue with your general activities once it does not involve the above (heavy lifting and standing for long periods). In terms of the brace or abdominal binder it is not a usual recommendation after this surgery because the restriction of the lifting is normally enough ,but it may be helpful. Since this is the time period where lifting is restricted to avoid tissue damage, this is the time it would be most useful and started. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions