Is voluntary amputation done in any hospital in India? Consequences of procedure?

Jul 2012

hello, this is related to one on my very friend, who wishes to have his left hand's little finger amputated. I am very shocked and suprised by his strange wish, since we are very close to eachother so he shared this with me. the finger is very much healthy and there is no problem at all but still he wants this to be done. i want to know if voluntary amputation is being carried out in any of the hospitals in india? what would be the conciquences after this procedure? what should i do to help him? should he see a psychiatrist?
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 15 minutes later
Hi there.
I have been a doctor for well over 2 decades & have never heard of such a thing as a 'voluntary' amputation. Amputations as a rule are carried out ONLY when MEDICALLY indicated by a qualified physician!
If the finger as you say is healthy, then YES..please take him across 'gently' to a psychiatrist. If you suggest this to him just off hte cuff, he may not accept there is anything wrong. I had a similar experience with a lady patient online this if you do care for this friend (& here am assuming you do going by the gist of this query), please take him across to a psychiatrist/psychologist...& if you cannot, please confide in his parents' or guardians' discretely without breaking the bond of trust he shares with you. Cheers & Good LUCK!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD