Ask a Urologist   »  

Is varicocele surgery advisable for low sperm count?

Jul 2016

hello doctor ..i wanted to know varicocele surgery advisable for low sperm count ..and after the surgery .. how long patient has to be in hospital ,when he can do his regular work ,whether he can do intercourse after few days of surgery ..if he wants to go for icsi whether he can go immediately after 15 days of surgery .Does this surgery affects any sexual related things like erection ,pain other thing etc .
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Surgery will not give 100% guarantee . Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have Varicocele and Oligospermia confirmed on your semen analysis. Please note that results or success of Varicocele surgery are guarded and only 30% of the patients who undergo surgery will have improvement in their sperm count. Patient has to be hospitalised only for 2-3 days after surgery and one can resume his work after 4 days of surgery. Sexual activity is usually advisable one week after surgery.. It takes few weeks to see the results of surgery hence it is better to refrain from ICSI at least for a month. Surgery does not affect sexual potency ,erection at all.Pain is very minimal and last for a day or two Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Is varicocele surgery advisable for low sperm count? 27 hours later
Hello Doctor Thanks for the reply ,But in some cases varicocele surgery do get success right .Is it a minor or major surgery and anesthsia will be given locally or general . I have shown to the doctor ,he said i can leave the hospital on the day of surgery itself in the evening if surgery do take place in morning .Is it correct .Hope u have seen my reports ..some says its right varicocele ..some reports says its on left side ..can u please see the reports .And what does bilateral grade 3 means .. Doctor can u suggest any medicine to improve the sperm count ..i am taking fertomid 25mg ..daily night . Hope to receive your reply .
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 15 hours later
Brief Answer: No reports attached to query. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. As there are no reports attached to your query I could not see them. Bilateral mans on both sides If possible post them now.I would go through them. The stay in the Hospital depends upon the method of surgery.If it is a open surgery you will be hospitalised for 2-3 days. If done Laproscopicsurgery, you can be discharged same day evening. Surgery is done under General or Spinal Anaesthesia. Grade 3 indicates moderate varicocele and need to be treated. Fertomid may or may not help to increase sperm count.There are so many medicines in the market who claim to improve sperm count but not a single one has proved its efficacy scientifically to improve sperm count. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.