Is usage of Protopic ointment and Elidel cream during pregnancy,safe?

Mar 2016

I just found out that I'm pregnant, about 4 weeks. My period was due on the 26th of this month. In the beginning of the month I had used Protopic ointment !% on my face a couple times and Elidel cream 1% a twice a day for the first week and possibly into the 2nd week of December. My concerns are for the baby, what effects has this medicine had. Are the risks slim or should I be preparing for the worst? I saw my obgyn this morning and he was telling me to consider how much I want this pregnancy.
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: STOP TOPICAL OINTMENT. DO TVS SCAN. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. You DON'T be afraid but you should better avoid using both PROTOPIC & ELIDEL cream at the earliest. They contain Tacrolimus and Pimecrolimus group of drugs as active ingredient (Immunomodulator). These are pregnancy Category-C drugs by FDA and not recommended in pregnancy. However, it does not cause any harmful effect on growing embryo or fetus before confirmation or realization of your pregnancy as fetal organogenesis takes place from 5th week onwards. Next thing, studies have not proved any adverse effect from topical application of above drugs before confirmed pregnancy. Therefore, you shouldn't be worried about it but STOP using them. Do one Trans Vaginal Ultrasound Scan (TVS) to get a detailed picture on fetal well being & proceed periodic check up to your gynecologist. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and successful motherhood. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW