Is travelling advisable with a hematoma on one breast?

General Surgeon
I had lipo breast reduction surgery 3 weeks ago. I have a hematoma on one breast. It's still hard and very swollen. I have a trip (flight) planned in a week. Is it safe to travel? Will it cause more swelling?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Flight or trip has no impact to an inflammation process. So either you will stay home or go to the trip, situation wont be different. Hematoma contains proteins and glucose. It makes great environment for bacteria grow. That is why untreated hematoma sooner or later turns into an abscess. Abscess is a source of infection which can spread to whole body and lead to sepsis. This is life threatening condition. So considering that point, it is not safe to take a trip with possible breast abscess. You should rather consult a surgeon. Blood work, CRP level and breast ultrasound should be done. In case of abscess, it should be drained and antibiotics prescribed. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.