Ask a Dentist   »  

Is tooth removal the only option for tooth ache?

Hi, Iam suffering with tooth ache.I went to doctor she told me to remove that tooth but i didnt .after that she gave some tablets and it ok at that time.Now again its starts paining.Can you suggest me whether i have to remove that tooth,it is last tooth on my right side. Regards, XXXXX
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: root canal procedure saves the tooth Detailed Answer: Hello there; Welcome to hcm; Tooth ache indicates inflammation of the tooth nerve called as pulpitis. The infected and inflmmed tooth nerve can be removed by root canal treatment setting the tooth pain free permanently. With root canal procedure your tooth can be saved provided the tooth is not mobile and the prognosis of the tooth is good. Since its your last tooth I would suggest you to get a x ray done and get the root canal done. If the prognosis is bad get the tooth extracted. I hope this answers your query. wishing you quick recovery; Dr. Farah Hussain.
Follow-up: Is tooth removal the only option for tooth ache? 19 minutes later
The tooth is half gone and small hole is there,I come to know that if u remove your tooth it will effect some nerves in the brain .Is it true? otherwise i can extract if it wont have effect . Regards, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: no nerves are not affected. Detailed Answer: Hello; if the tooth is grossly decayed that means prognosis of tooth is poor better to get the tooth extracted. No!! extraction does not affect any nerves in brain or anywhere; it is minor surgical procedure done under local anesthesia which blocks the nerve in that area setting it painless and safe.