Is tiredness, tightness of chest and unsteady feet the indications of anxiety attack ?

Hi, I'm 5ft 10ins, 22 years old, no previous medical history. I have found a lump about half the size of a pea located just above my collarbone (supraclavicular) on the right handside with no pain. The lump is hard and skirts around slightly and is slightly mobile when prodded, I have checked the other side and there is not one there. I have checked for lumps in groin and under armpits but there are no lumps. I have recently had a cold which I got rid of around 3 weeks ago, but still have cough hanging around. I generally feel tired, tightness in the chest/lungs aswell as feeling unsteady on feet but unsure if this is connected but have been very stressed / anxious lately.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

The first general concern with this kind of finding is - is this a lymph node or a sign of a worrisome disease? Let me reassure you that I do not feel this is something to be concerned about right now.

You indicated that you had a cold and still have a cough so very likely your immune system is still working to clear a likely virus from your system..An active immune system can sometimes cause swelling of lymph nodes which are present throughout the body - neck, armpits, supraclavicular region and groin among others. The lump you feel could possibly be a lymph node which was stimulated by your immune system fighting this recent infection.

The fact that you have fatigue makes me eonder if you possibly were exposed to the virus that causes mono (swollen lymph nodes.

finally, stress and anxiety can sometimes affect the immune system and make it more difficult to clear an infection. Do your best to get some adequate exercise, hydrate well, eat a well balanced diet and sleep at least 7.5 hours per night to help support your body through this.

If for some reason you still can feel this lump in 2 to 3 weeks you can visit your doctor for an opinion but in the meantime I see no cause for concern my friend.

I thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you have fond this response to be helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga